Thursday, June 2, 2011

So Long, Liberty

It seems like only last year I was in Emily's position, ready to start seventh grade. But nope, seventh grade has come to a close...and eighth...and ninth...and before I know it, middle school has passed in a flash. Where did all the time go, huh?

Well, now, I suppose the best way to start this is a short summary of ninth grade.
I met several great friends this year and got to know better a few that I saw a few times before. Biology was a huge pain in the butt, but I'm proud to say I survived and even passed (even if that pass was a "C"). My math teacher turned out to be the same one I had last year, who had, in the past year and a half, moved up from an eighth grade teacher to an eighth/ninth grade teacher to a ninth grade teacher. Composition class was fun...I even got an award for being a great writer. And of course, then there was band. I hit a few rocky bumps here and there, but overall, band was as good an experience as ever, and I've gotta say, I'll miss Mrs. Rakoff, Mrs. Moyer, and the LMS Wind Ensemble.
The snow days we got in January this year were also a welcome school-year surprise, extending Christmas Break for an entire week! And the weather madness didn't end there, as most of you know. Just recently, the tornadoes and power-outages pushed us into another week of missed school. With all the make-up days we were already dealing with from the snow break, the school rejoiced when it was announced that we would not have to make up the tornado days.
Seminary was difficult as far was waking up goes, and a good majority of my classmates were total nimrods, but I did have some friends in there and I loved my teacher, Sister Mitchell. I was never good at the scripture chases, but I did manage to memorize all of my Scripture Mastries, and that certainly has come in handy.
And of course, you can never forget Coach J.'s crazy costumes in the car line on Fridays.

Though that ends the highlights of the year, I'd also like to just point out a few things from all my years at Liberty. It was a big change from elementary school and I was as nervous as ever. However, with great friends that came up with me and then adding the ones I made when I got there, I made it through, and for the most part, I had some really great times. In the process, I met the best teacher that I've ever had and maybe will ever have--Mrs. White, my seventh grade science teacher. If you could call any teacher a real friend, it would be her.
I've had my share of not-the-best teachers ever. Mr. Canady, a temporary seventh grade math teacher, wasn't mean, but he just did not know how to teach. Mrs. Ryan, and eighth grade History teacher, was nice if you stayed on her good side, but get her mad, and she sticks you in her guillotine--no joke! Mrs. Cleveland and Coach King, ninth grade Biology and History teachers, weren't too bad most of the time, but they sure were strict!


Overall, Liberty was an enjoyable experience, and I wish luck to Emily as she enters it in August. I, myself, have mixed feelings about moving up to high school.

But hey--I guess I'll never know until I get there.

2 comments:

  1. Just like middle school, high school will be good and bad, and before you know it you'll be off to college. I miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The assembly at the end of the school year is often called a 'commencement'. Which is a good term, because commencement also means 'a new beginning'. So, the end of one thing is the beginning of something else. Doors really go both ways, they are exits but they are at the same time entrances. As you exit a room through a door it usually leads you to another room or place.
    While it may be intimidating and scary to start something new it is also exhilarating and exciting and you will do fabulous. Because of who you are!

    ReplyDelete