Last Wednesday actually started out pretty well. School delayed and Seminary canceled, so I got to sleep in.
When school did begin, however, it was nothing but chaos.
We were herded immediately into the 7th grade hallway and other "tornado-safe" areas and were not released until nearly 10:00. By then, the teachers decided to just skip first block and go straight to second. Second block was only half-over, though, when the tornado sirens began to sound, and back to the safe-zones we went. By the time we got out of there, we tried to grab a quick lunch before something else happened, but it only took about 20 minutes for the sirens to blare again.
Back to the shelters! For about 5 minutes!
The teachers noticed a short break in the storm on its way and sent us all home before the worst could come.
Darn good thing they did, too, because about an hour or so after the last of the kids arrived home, the weather really hit--hard.
Power went out.
Schools got closed for nearly a week.
Without question, this has been the worst weather year in all the time I've been here! Tornadoes and blizzards, tornadoes and blizzards...what's next, earthquakes? ;)
Well, there was the earthquake in Japan. With a tsunami. And a whirlpool. I'm waiting for hurricane season now. Luckily I don't live next to a volcano, or I'd get super paranoid.
ReplyDeleteI am glad the school sent you home before the storm got really bad. It would have been terrible to spend the whole night in the school's storm shelters.
ReplyDelete