Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Spiritual Comment

A few weeks ago, we had an assignment in Social Studies to write a song about the ten plagues of Egypt. Most people where in groups, but I was alone. I worked hard on my song and even wrote music for it, which I put on a CD. I was really nervous when it came my turn to sing...up in front of the entire class. But I had to. So I did...though unfortunately, as far as I was concerned, I did not do very well. For a while after, I just tried to forget about it.

Very recently, we had a substitute in class. Like most substitutes, she was more relaxed than our real teacher; she let us move around the room. I had finished my work and was concentrated on sketching a picture. Suddenly I felt a hand on my head. I expected it to be the substitute, but instead I looked up to see the face of Sierra, a fellow classmate. "Bless you, child," She told me. "Bless you, child of the Lord. I wanna hear you sing again."

I don't think I'll ever know what prompted her to say that, I only know that I felt special when she did.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I like hearing you sing, too. But, hey, I'm your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brave thing you did. I know just how you felt. You may not know this but I am really pretty tone deaf. I can't carry a tune in a bucket. While I can hear a song in my head perfectly when I try to make it come out of my mouth it is totally wrong.
    In high school our music appreciation teacher told us that nobody would get an 'A' unless they memorized a song and sang it in front of the class. I have a great memory for lyrics so I offered my teacher to just recite the words instead of singing them. He did not believe me, he said everybody can sing. So I sang the best I could. It was awful and he made me stop after the first verse. I got my 'A' and he never made me sing again.
    I wish I could hear your song. Maybe you could post it some time.

    ReplyDelete